This place is part Of the UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa). The Chapel of St. Catherine is located in the west of St. Francis of Assisi Church and is dedicated to St. Catherine. It was built by Alfonso De Albuquerque in 1510 when he defeated the local Muslim ruler Adil Shah on St. Catherine's Day which is 25th November 1510. In 1534 the chapel was granted cathedral status by Pope Paul III. It was enlarged in 1550 by the Portuguese Governor George Cabral and rebuilt in 1952 using laterite blocks.