The place was originally a arm outpost of the Adil Shah. When the Bardez was captured by Portuguese a fort was constructed in the year 1551 with aim to protect the narrowest point of the Mandovi river. It housed viceroy and other dignitaries for a long time before being converted into a fortress. In the early eighteenth century proved a linchpin in the wars against the Hindu Maraths, who were never able to take it. It was briefly occupied by British forces between 1798 -1813. It was subsequently abandoned by the military and served as a prison until 1993. It was restored in 2008 and currently houses a museum dedicated to Goan history.
It is 7 kms from Panjim by road.