The Church of St. Philip and James also known as Ss. Filipe & Tiago. The Church of Cortalim was built around 1566 on the ground donated by the Gaunkars to the Jesuit college of St. Paul and was dedicated to the Apostles St. Philip and St. James. St. James is also called San Tiago. A chapel situated near the church marks the place where the first Jesuits to enter Salcete celebrated a mass to signify the event on May 1, 1560.