It is believed that the fort was originally crudely built by Khem Sawant Bhonsle, the Raja of Sawantwadi, in the 17th century. The fort came in Portuguese hands in 1746 when the Portuguese navy defeated fleet on Sawant’s. It became an important fort for maritime defence right through its occupation of Goa. The fort has been renovated and converted as hotel. It houses a chapel dedicated to St. Anthony.
The fort is located 42 kms from Panjim. One has to take ferry from Querim to reach the fort.